LABORATORY MEDICINE VISION FOR UON, FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES
The Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) of the University of Nairobi (UoN) is the leading tertiary healthcare training center in Kenya and the East & Central Africa region. It was created in 1985 and has its origin in the Faculty of Medicine which was established in 1967.
In the era of evidence-based medicine, accurate and efficacious laboratory results are not a luxury, it is what differentiates guesswork versus good clinical medicine. Clinical laboratory results influence 70% to 80% of all clinical decisions made by health care providers. It is therefore critical that patients receive accurate, fast, affordable, and convenient laboratory services.
For FHS to be on the leading edge of diagnostics, it is imperative that we have a global best-in-class diagnostic services center targeting an operating model based on co-creation, collaboration and co-innovation whilst collaborating with experts in healthcare technology, innovation, and stakeholder management.
The Department of Medical Microbiology & Immunology and Human Pathology have led the effort on behalf of FHS to cast a bold vision for our Laboratory medicine program and have partnered with technology experts, Accurite Health (industry partner with affiliation to global leading companies such as Siemens Healthineers), to revamp our laboratory service offerings and create MicroPATH Laboratories. The laboratory is founded on a futuristic model that will foster growth, innovation, and continuous improvement in all our clinical laboratories. This partnership will focus on building capacity at FHS in four phases, namely:
Phase 1: A world class, globally accredited diagnostic services center, provide teaching, clinical testing to support affordable patient care and research facilities therein;
Phase 2: To utilize existing capacity at the faculty to establish a Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory to test for the presence of performance enhancing substances and commonly abused substances among athletes, World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) accredited Laboratory;
Phase 3: A high-performance athletic training center with world-class equipment, expert coaching staff and dedicated programs exclusively for athlete development. This will run in conjunction with Sports Medicine and Scientific Services as well as hospitality; and
Phase 4: A Comprehensive Cancer Diagnostic Center with a focus on nuclear medicine and high-resolution Radiology/Imaging suites.
Immediate Benefits/ Phase 1
MicroPATH Laboratory at the UoN, FHS, Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) campus has recently renovated and reopened its invitro diagnostics laboratory to support and enhance clinicians and health service providers provide high quality, affordable health services to the people of Kenya. To analyze specimens and produce best quality results, we use sophisticated techniques and instrumentation that incorporate innovative technology and methodologies. Our equipment is at par with those used at leading medical centers and research facilities in the USA or Europe.
All our equipment meets and exceeds the approval specifications set by the Ministry of Health (Kenya), F.D.A in the USA or the European CE medical device approval process. Our competitive advantages are many, just a few to ponder:
- Highest number of the leading Pathologists in the region, in-house.
- An extensive test menu of clinical testing with a focus on analytical lab medicine to support robust testing options in disease detection.
- Quality test results by use of state-of-the-art equipment.
- Socially responsible test pricing.
- Electronic reporting of test results.
- Explain the significance of our laboratory test results.
- Fast turnaround time (TAT) and support.
- Capacity to process over 15,000 tests/day.
- Personalized and responsive customer service including after hours for those “special needs” as well as a high level of flexibility.
- Collaboration with SMART Partners to provide proactive patient outreach, disease management reporting, and various initiatives in promoting good health practices.
This program will be of patricular benefit to the Faculty as a portion of the profits will be directly apportioned to a Faculty Research fund to support our own research initiatives, giving a new lease of life in our capacity to promote student and staff research programs.
- Prof. Evelyn Wagaiyu; Chairperson.
- Prof. Walter Godfrey Jaoko; Technical Director
- Prof. Angela Amayo; Technical Director
- Dr. Marianne Mureithi; Technical Director
- Dr. Wairimu Waweru; Technical Director
- Timothy M’Barine; Accurite
- Dr. Daniel Kiaraho; Accurite
- Mike Musau; Accurite
Location and contact
We are centrally located at KNH campus, in the Upper Hill Medical district to ensure our Smart Partners and patients have easy and safe access to our services.
For any queries, please contact us and we will be glad to assist you. We look forward to serving you and any patient referrals you will send our way.
Telephone: (+254) 0110071639, 0104959629 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org